ALERT! JENNIE-O RECALLS MORE THAN 160,000 POUNDS OF TURKEY
First, it was the lettuce, now its coming after our ground turkey too?! It seems as though salmonella is making its way through many of our most beloved products.
Issued this week, the very popular ground turkey brand, Jennie-O, is recalling an additional 164,000 pounds of ground turkey products because they may be infected with salmonella. The products were shipped nationwide. The brand had initially recalled more than 90,000 pounds of products in November.
Recalled products include:
– 3-pound packages of “Jennie-O Ground Turkey 85% LEAN | 15% FAT” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/13/18 on the side of the trays.
– 2.5-pound packages of “Jennie-O Ground Turkey 93% LEAN | 7% FAT” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/13/18 on the side of the trays.
– 3-pound packages of “STATER BROS. 85% LEAN | 15% FAT ALL NATURAL Ground Turkey” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
– 1-pound packages of “Jennie-O TACO SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
– 1-pound packages of “Jennie-O ITALIAN SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
The products include establishment number “EST. P-579” inside the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) mark of inspection or on the side of the tray.
The CDC reports 216 cases in 38 states and the District of Columbia linked to the yearlong outbreak.
Eating food contaminated with salmonella can cause salmonellosis, a common foodborne illness. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated product. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days.
While most people recover without treatment, some people may need to go to a hospital for severe diarrhea. Older adults, infants, and people with weaker immunity are more likely to have a severe illness. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact their health care provider.Anyone who bought the products should throw them out or return them to the store where they were purchased.