CONNOR BETTS ID’D AS DAYTON MASSACRE SHOOTER/EL PASO KILLER LABELED DOMESTIC TERRORIST
*Connor Betts is the name of the shooter in a bar in Dayton, Ohio, who killed 9 people and injured 26 others. According to CBS News, he was 24-years old and was from Bellbrook, Ohio.
If it’s any consolation, Betts was shot and killed by local police, who responded to the incident “within a minute,” Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley said during a news conference. He was also wearing body armor and used a .233-caliber rifle to carry out his mission.
Law enforcement sources said police are searching his home. As of this posting, no other details about the suspect were immediately available.
Specifically, the shooting happened in the city’s Oregon District in downtown Dayton around 1am local time Sunday morning outside a popular nightclub called Ned Peppers, authorities said via Twitter.
The Dayton shooting is horrible, but it comes on the heels of an even more horrible event less than 24 hours earlier in El Paso, Texas where a gunman opened fire in a shopping mall killing at least 20 people and injuring 26 others.
The suspect in that massacre, a 21-year-old man named Patrick Crusius from the Dallas suburb of Allen, Texas, was taken into custody by police.
Authorities are investigating a manifesto Crusius may have posted online detailing a planned attack in response to “the Hispanic invasion of Texas.” As a result, he’s been charged with capital murder. The shooting has also been officially designated as a domestic terrorism incident
Sheriff Richard Wiles, who oversees the jail, called it a racist attack, according to The Washington Post.
“This Anglo man came here to kill Hispanics,” Wiles reportedly wrote on Facebook. “I’m outraged and you should be too. This entire nation should be outraged.
Meanwhile, in a series of tweets on Sunday morning, Donald Trump praised law enforcement for its “very rapid” response to both the incidents in El Paso and Dayton. “God bless the people of El Paso Texas. God bless the people of Dayton, Ohio,” he added.
On the other hand, it doesn’t look like the orange a-hole in the White House is going to slide out this situation as easily as he may think. That’s because the El Paso shooting reverberated on the campaign trail for next year’s U.S. presidential election, with several Democratic candidates repeating calls for tighter gun control measures and others drawing connections to a resurgence in white nationalism and xenophobic politics in the United States.
Several candidates, including Cory Booker, pointed a finger at Trump.
“Donald Trump is responsible for this. He is responsible because he is stoking fears and hatred and bigotry,” U.S. Senator Cory Booker, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”